I had a fantabulous time at my first UGSS! I cant thank Dave, Rachel and Zach enough for all that they did for us. S4 is awesome and was the perfect atmosphere to network, train, trade tips and the like.
Seeing good friends is always a plus. Lifting and shooting the bull with Taylor, JL(HUGE MFER) Joshy McMillan, Schwab, Jordan, Ted, Molly, Szud, Cas, Monotone Chadhead, Diggers, Da Geet – even Jeremy Frey graced us with his presence – good to see him healed up.
All of the new log additions are fantastic lifters and people. They were there lifting objects, weights and doing crazy stuff. Chris “Top Gun” Carter was sidelined from a volleyball injury at work, so he was just hanging. Too many cool people were there to name and it was great to meet them.
A few impressive things that stood out and things that jumped out at me:
- The ‘outfits’ of the Swole Patrol
- The monotone Chadhead squatting 635 x 10
- Pegg squatting 8′s in his grandma’s five-toed jellies
- Driggers 710 PR pull with ease
- Wenning’s box squat with 15 bands per side
- Jordan’s obedience
- Zane’s near miss with 750 on deadlift
- Molly and Ted’s arch
- My face’s ability to grow from morning to night
- JL’s ability to warrant a Hulk tattoo
- The power of one’s ego and how it can actually help or hurt you. (When to keep pushing and when to shut it down.)
- Kroc’s Camo shirt is literally in every picture I have ever seen of him, even the ones he has sent me…Well, almost every picture.
We ate at this Italian place, which was fantastic, both nights that we were in town. Freaking awesome! Great choice for the night before a long day of lifting and dodging the clap.
I will talk more about the training we did and some more stuff as it comes to me.
Ok, first-off, I’d like to add a couple of things to my impressive list, now that I’m caught up on rest:
- Andy Deck pressing the Kroc dumbbell with Fat Gripz.
- Kroc and Wenning both pressing the hell out of the 185 pound dumbbells (I wouldn’t touch these.)
- Al Caslow nailing a 675 pull after both missing a squat (earlier in the day) and not really training the deadlift much at all over the last few months.
The most important change is the alias that Chad Wesley Smith will now be know as; monotone chadhead was fine, but I’m going with MONOTONE JUGGERNOGGIN – FTW!
Since he likes to go by three names, it will now be lessened to two.
Stretching and waiting etc
- 160 x 8
- 250 x 5
- 340 x 1
- 550 x 1
- 710 x 1
- 820 x 1
- 1000 x 1 – just followed the plan
We ate some fantastic BBQ and then shot the bull for a while..
- 550 x 1
- 655 x 1 – felt fine but no reason to push it
Helped Nate do some deadlift technique stuff and he ended up pulling a nice PR in about 10 minutes. Great job Nate!
We then went back to the Italian place and crushed some more great food. Afterward, we went to JL’s and watched the fights. Got to bed around 2AM and didn’t sleep for bleep since Adam doesn’t care to have a sleep study.
We talked and stretched for a bit and then got on the bench with Driggers, Ted, Molly, Caslow, Schwab and Jordan.
- 135 x 8
- 225 x 5
- 315 x 3
- 455 x 2, 3-board
- 605 x 2, 3 and 2-board
- 700 x 2, 2-board (Went great but shut it down.)
- 315 x 5
- 405 x 8 – wanted 10, but didnt want to get greedy. I was a bit fatigued from the weekend.
We ended up staying and hanging for a while and shot the bull and had a great time, as we were waiting to leave for the airport. Dave, Rachel, Zach and all of the staff were so good to us and planned so well for all that would take place.
This weekend is exactly what I needed and I’m now more motivated than ever to push it to the next level. I cant wait until the next UGSS.
I’m going to go into detail soon on what I’m going to be adding and what my plan is.